- Growing and shaping your school library collection
Growing and shaping your school library collection
Date: Monday 23 May 2022 to Friday 1 July 2022
Registrations close: Wednesday 25 May, 5pm
Cost: Free — registration required
Contact details: email@example.comAdd to my calendar
Full — wait list available
A great school library collection reflects, includes and responds to your students and community. This requires good management and planning. Discover how to build a library collection that meets the needs of your students and teachers.
Who this online course is for
This is an introductory online course for school library staff or library management team members who:
- are new to school libraries, or
- have some experience with collection management and want to find out how the collection can better respond to and reflect the needs of their school community.
Note that this course used to be called Building a responsive collection for your school library.
Why take this course
- Learn at school or at home, at a time of day that suits you.
- Learn how to develop a well-used collection with books and resources that students will love to read and use.
- Use tools that help you better understand diversity in your collection and your school community.
- Strengthen your understanding of collection management processes.
- Improve your professional practice by applying what you learn to your own school context.
What you'll learn
- Understand the purpose of your collection.
- Develop and articulate a vision for your collection.
- Learn more about your users and their needs.
- Find out how input from others (students and staff) can help develop your collection.
- Know how to use collection management processes — planning, selecting, organising, assessing, weeding.
What you'll do
The course starts with an ‘orientation week’ from 23 to 29 May. This week helps you get familiar with online learning and Moodle, the platform we deliver our courses on.
Then for the next 5 weeks, you'll:
- use quality resources to learn the best practices for school library collection development
- learn from other course participants by sharing ideas and practice
- be guided and supported by our experienced facilitators
- participate in real-world problem-solving activities
- start an action plan and guiding documents to help you develop a better collection in your school library
- integrate collection development processes into your library practice
- reflect on your learning.
To get the most out of participating in this learning, you’ll need:
- time set aside to complete work using the Moodle learning platform and in your library — about 5 hours each week
- access to any existing collection development documents (e.g. policies and procedures) before the course starts
- access to a device for joining our online learning community in Moodle, and optionally joining Zoom meetings (video).
It would also help if you're able to get input from teachers and students as you work through the course.
Find out more or register
This course is full.
Join our wait list — email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your email, let us know:
- the name of your school
- your full name
- work email
- phone number
For more information about the course, email Lisa Allcott at email@example.com.
Our online professional learning and development — more about how our courses work, what you need to do, and our terms and conditions.