The newe testament both in Latine and Englyshe eche correspondente to the other after the vulgare texte, communely called S. Ieromes. / Faythfullye translated by Iohan Hollybushe. Anno. M.CCCCC.XXXVIII.
- Coverdale, Miles, 1488-1568, tr., Hollybush, John. tr., Nicholson, James, fl. 1535-1538. printer., Suddeby, T., 16th century. former owner., Harmsworth, R. Leicester (Robert Leicester), Sir, 1870-1937. former owner., Howard, Arthur, Sir, 1896-1971. former owner.
Title within woodcut borders; woodcut initials.
Calendar in red and black.
A reissue, with cancel t.p., of the ed. with "before the | cocke do crowe" on leaf 40 lines 11-12 and Coverdale's name on the t.p.
Numerous misnumbered folios with some ms. corrections. Numerous omissions and repetitions in numbering.
STC (2nd ed.), 2816.7
English short title catalogue, s104594
Herbert, A.S. Engl. Bible, 38
Binding Digital image. Wellington, N.Z. : National Library of New Zealand, 2006
English and Latin in parallel columns. The English version is actually the Coverdale translation, possibly revised by Hollybush.
Binding: mid 16th century English, roll tooled binding (roll similar to Oldham, J. Basil. English blind-stamped bindings HM. a(12)); dark brown calf; spine rebacked, gold tooled, raised bands; vellum manuscript pastedowns: inside upper board, 29 lines of Latin, black ink, one 2-line capital, red paragraph marks, capitals filled in red, with marginal glosses in two separate hands, 12th or 13th c. book hand; text from Peter Lombard, Sententiae, Book IV, Distinctio I, 4-5; inside lower board, from the same manuscript, with three 2-line initials, two red and one blue; text from Peter Lombard, Sententiae, Book IV, Distinctio 6, 3-5.
First 2 leaves apparently supplied in facsimile. Provenance: inscription "T. Suddeby," 16th century; from the collection of Sir Leicester Harmsworth (lot 2421 in is sale, 19460 ; bookplate of George Goyder and his ownership inscription (lot 13 in the sale of his library, Sothebys, 1958); bequeathed to the Alexander Turnbull Library by Sir Arthur Howard, 1973.
Digital image available: bookbinding, Alexander Turnbull Library Rare Book copy. Details available on request from Curator, Rare Books and Fine Printing.
- Source URL
- Related to
- Digital Collection = Kohinga Matihiko 81268192800002836 Alma Collection
- Other Titles
- Bible. N.T. Latin. Vulgate. 1538.; Bible. N.T. English. Coverdale.
- Printed in Southwarke : By James Nicolson. Set forth Wyth the Kynges moost gracious lycence, 
- , 342,  leaves ; 21 cm. (4to)
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.