Photograph album of family and other portraits
- [ca 1860s-ca 1880s]
- Bartlett, Robert Henry, 1842-1911; Bassano, Alexander, 1829-1913; Botterill, John, 1817-1881; Brown, Barnes and Bell (Firm); Clarke, William Henshaw, 1831-1910; Davis, William Henry, 1837-1875; Elliott & Fry (Firm); Freeman & Company; Hills & Saunders (Firm); Johnstone, O'Shannessy & Company; London School of Photography; London Stereoscopic Photographic Company; Newman, John Hubert, 1830-1916; Rodgers, Thomas, 1840-1933; Schourup, Peter, 1837-1887; Swan & Wrigglesworth (Firm); Vandyke & Brown (Firm); Wrigglesworth and Binns (Firm); Wrigglesworth, James Dacie, 1836-1906
Album of carte de viste and cabinet card portraits, including animal portraits, taken circa 1860s to circa 1870s by a range of photographers. The caption information appears to have been added at a later date and would appear to include names transcribed from inscriptions on the reverse of some of the mounts. Some attributions are uncertain and other subjects are not identified.
Many of the family portraits relate to the Johnston, Inglis, Fitzherbert, and Grace families.
Portraits include the following subjects:
- Adelina Patti
- Italo Campanini
- Dame Emma Albani
- Dr Morgan Stanislaus Grace
Animal portraits include photograph of a light coloured dog, a long-haired dog posed on a chair, and a small dog posed on the lap of a seated person.
Landscape photographs include building portraits of historic buildings most likely in the United Kingdom.
Photographer and studio imprints include:
- Elliott & Fry, 55 Baker Street, Portman Square, W [London].
- Wrigglesworth & Binns, 7 Willis Street, Wellington.
- Freeman late Oswald Allen Photo, 360 George Street, Sydney.
- P Schourup, Christchurch
- Sinclair & Co, 412 & 70 Euston Road, N.W. [London].
- Johnstone, O'Shannessy & Co., 3 Bourke Street, East, Melbourne.
- Ross & Thomson, 90 Princes Street, Edinburgh.
- R H Bartlett, Auckland.
- Emile Bondonneau, 173 Palais Royal, Paris.
- Alexander Bassano, 72 Piccadilly, London.
- Brown, Barnes & Bell, 31 Bold Street, 34 Castle St., 87 Lord St., Liverpool, and Durham Hall, Bootle.
- William H Davis, [Wellington].
- J D Wrigglesworth, Wellington.
- T Rodger, St Andrews [Scotland].
- W H Clarke, Lambton Quay, Wellington.
- Ferranti, Bold Street, Liverpool.
- Vandyke & Brown, 31 Bold Street, 34 Castle St., 87 Lord St., and South Hunter Street, Liverpool.
- The London Stereoscopic & Photography Company, 110 & 108 Regent Street & 54 Cheapside, [London].
- James Irons, East Green, Anstruther, Fife.
- Hills & Saunders, Cambridge & Oxford.
- J Botterill, 19 Collins Street, East, Melbourne.
- J H Newman, 12 South Head Road, Hyde Park, Sydney
- C T Newcombe, 135 Fenchurch St, E.C. [London]
- The London School of Photography, 103 Newgate Street, [London].
- G D Morse, Morse's Palace of Arts, 417 Montgomery St. San Francisco, California.
- W Keith, 25 Hardman Street, Liverpool.
Also includes printed baptismal certificate with hand colouring, for Eliza Fitzgerald.
Quantity: 1 album(s) 73 photographic prints and a loose certificate.
Physical Description: Album with ornate printed title page and 25 gilt-edged leaves, bound in embossed leather with gilt detailing and brass clasp, containing 67 cartes de visite, 5 cabinet cards, 1 mounted albumen print, and a baptismal certificate.
Provenance: Donor is a descendant of Henrietta and John Johnston of Wellington.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- Johnston, Henrietta Charlotte, 1814-1878: Photograph albums relating to the Johnston family
- 1 album(s) 73 photographic prints and a loose certificate, Albumen prints, Baptismal certificates, Cabinet photographs, Cartes de visite, Photograph albums, Photographs, Portraits, Album with ornate printed title page and 25 gilt-edged leaves, bound in embossed leather with gilt detailing and brass clasp, containing 67 cartes de visite, 5 cabinet cards, 1 mounted albumen print, and a baptismal certificate.
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it:Bartlett, Robert Henry, 1842-1911. Photograph album of family and other portraits. Johnston, Henrietta Charlotte, 1814-1878: Photograph albums relating to the Johnston family. Ref: PA1-q-1185. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/35314448