Album of official and family portraits
- [ca 1860s-1880s]
- Baillie, Gordon, 1827-1875; Barraud, Herbert Rose, 1845-1896; Bartlett, Robert Henry, 1842-1911; Batchelder & Company; Batt & Richards (Firm); Carnell, Samuel, 1832-1920; Davis, William Henry Whitmore, 1812-1901; De Jongh, Edouard, 1823-1886; Elliott & Fry (Firm); Ferranti, Cesare Zani de, 1831-1903; Freeman Brothers & Prout (Firm); Grillet & Cie (Firm); Johnstone, O'Shannessy & Company; Keith, William, 1829-1883; Newcombe, Charles Thomas, 1830-1912?; Notman, William, 1826-1891; Ralston, William, 1841-1911; Sarony, Oliver Francois Xavier, 1820-1879; Stuart, John, 1831-1907; Swan & Wrigglesworth (Firm); Swan, George Henry, 1833-1913; Thomson, John, 1837-1921; W & D Downey (Firm); Webster, Hartley, -1906; Wrigglesworth and Binns (Firm); Wrigglesworth, James Dacie, 1836-1906
Family photograph album thought to have belonged to Henrietta Charlotte Johnston, wife of John Johnston.
Images are chiefly photographic portraits of family members and public figures, including Queen Victoria and her consort Prince Albert, in carte de viste and cabinet card format, taken circa 1860s-1880s by a range of photographers.
Also includes two photographs depicting building exteriors in landscape settings. Some of the portraits are partially hand-coloured.
Many of the subjects are named in pencil captions inscribed on album pages at a later date, with some of this information most likely taken from inscriptions on reverse of photographic mounts.
Includes portraits of Sir William Fox and Sir Edward Stafford.
Photographer and studio imprints include:
- [John] Stuart, 120 Buchanan Street, Glasgow.
- W & D Downey, 9 Eldon Square, Newcastle on Tyne.
- Wrigglesworth & Binns, Wellington.
- W H Davis, Wellington.
- Elliott & Fry, 55 Baker Street, Portman Square, W[est London].
- R H Bartlett, Auckland.
- De Jongh, "Photographe a Beau Séjour d'en Bas", Lausanne.
- Barraud & Jerrard, 96 Gloucester Place, Portman Sq[ua]r[e] W[est] London.
- Ralston & Sons, 73 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.
- Johnstone, O'Shannessy & Co., 3 Bourke Street East, Melbourne.
- Grillet Jne. "Photographe du Roi" S[ant]a Lucia, No. 28, Naples.
- J D Wrigglesworth, Wellington.
- W Notman, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto & Halifax.
- H Webster, Queen Street, Auckland.
- S. Carnell, Napier.
- T & J Holroyd, Esplanade House, Harrogate [Thomas and James Holroyd].
- Sarony & Co. Sarony Square, Scarborough.
- Batt & Richards, Wellington.
- G. Baillie, Cuba Street, Wellington.
- J. Thomson, Rosslyn.
- Swan & Wrigglesworth, Wellington.
- G H Swan, Wellington.
- Freeman & Prout, 141 Castlereagh St, Sydney.
- H X Harcq, 36 Chaussee d'Ixelles, Ixelles.
- Batchelder's, 41 Collins Street East, Melbourne.
Inscriptions: Album page - [Pencil on first free endpaper] This Album would appear to have belonged to Charlotte Johnston wife of John Johnston as several of the photos are marked C. J. The book came from Fitzherbert Terrace, Wellington, N.Z.
Quantity: 1 album(s) 69 photographic prints.
Physical Description: Album with 25 gilt-edged leaves bound in embossed brown leather with brass clasp, containing 62 cartes de visite, 6 cabinet cards, and one loose unmounted albumen print, 29.5 x 23 cm.
Provenance: Donor is a descendant of Henrietta and John Johnston of Wellington.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- Johnston, Henrietta Charlotte, 1814-1878: Photograph albums relating to the Johnston family
- 1 album(s) 69 photographic prints, Albumen prints, Cabinet photographs, Cartes de visite, Photograph albums, Photographs, Portraits, Album with 25 gilt-edged leaves bound in embossed brown leather with brass clasp, containing 62 cartes de visite, 6 cabinet cards, and one loose unmounted albumen print, 29.5 x 23 cm.
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it:Baillie, Gordon, 1827-1875. Album of official and family portraits. Johnston, Henrietta Charlotte, 1814-1878: Photograph albums relating to the Johnston family. Ref: PA1-q-1184. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/35314424