Postcard. Souvenir of Rotorua. New Zealand postcard (carte postale). Tanner Bros Ltd. Maoriland Photographic series. Tanner Bros Ltd, Wellington [ca 1920s?]
- 1910 - 1925
- Tanner Brothers Ltd (Publishers); Smith, Sydney Charles, 1888-1972
Perforated postcard shows twelve scenes (untitled) including children in a hot pool, steaming pools, cooking in hot water, steaming cliffs, the Bath House, town buildings and street.
In rows across, from top left:
1. Whakarewarewa village, roughly east of the main thermal reserve
2. View approximately west from the main Bath House, across the Government Gardens
3. Kuirau Park or Whakarewarewa
5. Brent's Hotel, looking east along Hinemoa Street
6. Main Bath House (now the museum) in Government Gardens, no earlier than 1911 when the gabled wing at the right was added
7. "Penny haka" at Whakarewarewa or Ohinemutu
8. Probably at Whakarewarewa
9. View from the Bath House platform looking roughly west to north-west: the band rotunda (completed in 1900 and since relocated) at left and Te Runanga Tearooms (built 1903) at right.
10. View east along Arawa Street towards Prince's Gate archway into the Government Gardens. The old post office (built 1914) on far right.
11. Sightseeing launch on Lake Rotomahana, by the steaming cliffs estimated to be near the site of the Pink Terraces, destroyed in the 1886 eruption of Mt Tarawera and the adjacent area.
12. Waikite geyser sinter deposits at Whakarewarewa thermal reserve.
The photographs were likely taken in different years, the latest dating from the 1920s. The photographer of some of the images was Sydney Charles Smith, 1888-1972.
Quantity: 1 photograph(s).
Physical Description: 12 photographic prints, separated by perforations on card 90 x 138 mm.
- Additional description
Alternative form available: Scanned from original.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- [Ephemera of octavo size, relating to Rotorua as a tourist destination. 1890-1929]
- 1 photograph(s), Ephemera, Photographs, 12 photographic prints, separated by perforations on card 90 x 138 mm., Orientation: Horizontal image
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it:Tanner Brothers Ltd (Publishers). Postcard. Souvenir of Rotorua. New Zealand postcard (carte postale). Tanner Bros Ltd. Maoriland Photographic series. Tanner Bros Ltd, Wellington [ca 1920s?]. [Ephemera of octavo size, relating to Rotorua as a tourist destination. 1890-1929]. Ref: Eph-A-TOURISM-Rotorua-1920s-01. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/23235118