Services to Schools' inquiry exemplars model how to use resources to inspire inquiry. The exemplars link to the New Zealand Curriculum learning areas.
Adapt the inquiry exemplars to meet your own needs. You’ll need to consider:
- resources — how they complement others you have access to
- questions — how they align with your inquiry focus
- inquiry frameworks — how they fit with the inquiry model you use
- links to the curriculum — how they match the curriculum focus of your inquiry.
Our inquiry exemplars contain fertile or essential questions.
What the inquiry exemplars contain
Each inquiry exemplar focuses on a specific topic and contains:
1. A resources map which lists a range of quality complementary resources for the inquiry topic, including:
- print resources — including non-fiction and fiction
- digital content — including digital resources and curated content
- guides, tools and exemplars
- other resources and experiences.
2. Resources organised to focus on different learning areas, including
- the arts
- health and physical education
- mathematics and statistics
- social sciences
- technology focus
- te reo and tikanga Māori.
3. All resources organised according to inquiry behaviours and approaches, such as:
- the key competencies of the New Zealand Curriculum
- the principles and values of the New Zealand Curriculum
- a 6-stage process of inquiry framework
- the guided inquiry framework.
4. Some specific print and digital resources organised by:
- the kinds of fertile questions these resources might inspire
- the inquiry behaviours and approaches they might support.
Inquiry exemplar documents
Inquiry exemplars — what they are, how they work (pdf, 1.3MB)
Sample resource map: Aotearoa New Zealand culture and heritage (pdf, 525KB)
Blank resource map (pdf, 157KB) — first page of inquiry exemplar to map your own inquiry resources
Rocky shore inquiry exemplar — years 1 to 3 (pdf, 1.1MB)
Kiwiana inquiry exemplar — years 4 to 6 (pdf, 1MB)
Globalisation inquiry exemplar — years 7 to 8 (pdf, 723KB)
Women's suffrage inquiry exemplar — years 7 to 10 (pdf, 1.2MB)