When choosing resources for your library’s Māori collection, look for publications in te reo Māori, as well as in the English language about Māori.
Try to source materials for each section of your collection, including non-fiction and reference, fiction, picture books and graphic novels, magazines, newspapers and games.
Include topics or narratives such as:
- biographies of Māori people
- tribal history and pre-European New Zealand history
- history written from a Māori perspective
- the Treaty of Waitangi and the Waitangi Tribunal
- stories by Māori authors or featuring Māori characters or stories told from a Māori perspective
- articles and stories featuring Māori contemporary life, experiences, and success.
Suppliers of Māori resources
- includes the main publishers for the NZ Ministry of Education's te reo Māori publications
- provides libraries with avenues for sourcing books, magazines and other resources in English and te reo Māori.
Suppliers of Māori resources (pdf, 268KB)
The National Library staff sometimes review books with Māori content and books in te reo Māori.
Blog: create readers