Registering and requesting
Coming in on a Saturday to research? Plan ahead and request items you want to use by 4pm on Friday. Orders made on Saturday aren't delivered until Monday.
Over the Easter break the Alexander Turnbull Library will be open on Saturday from 9am to 1pm. We are closed on the public holidays.
Please order collection items by 4pm Thursday if you would like them available on Saturday.
Register to request collection items
You can register to request collection items. There are different processes depending if you’re requesting:
- published material (collections on the National Library catalogue, or
- unpublished (collections on Tiaki).
This includes books, journals, newspapers, and more.
- Start your registration online now
- Then come in to the Library, show us some photo ID, and you’ll be good to go
This includes photographs, manuscripts, drawings, oral histories, and more.
- You’ll need a RealMe account – you can use an existing one, or create one from Tiaki
- From the Tiaki homepage click Login and follow the instructions to use your RealMe account or make a new one
- Click Continue to go to the Tiaki registration page
- Fill in the registration form and you’re done
How to request items
You can request material from the item record page on the website. You can request up to 10items at a time.
Follow the process described below.
- Click the Request Item option on the item’s record page.
- You’ll either see ‘Item added to the current request...’, or be able to send an enquiry to a curator about the item.
- Submit your requests by clicking Current request
- Select the Date Required,and
- press Submit.
Delivery of requested material
Collection items are brought to the Reading Rooms throughout the day Monday to Friday.
General Reading Room weekday deliveries
|If you request an item||It will be delivered at|
|From 10am||Approximately 30 minutes from the time ordered|
|After 4.30pm||10.00am the next day except Saturday|
Katherine Mansfield Reading Room weekday deliveries
Please note that the deadline for ordering is 90 minutes before the next delivery.
|If you request an item by||Your item will be delivered at|
|After 3pm||10.00am the following day except Saturday|
Requesting items for Saturday
If you are requestings items from our collections for your visit on Saturday, plan ahead and order them before 4pm on Friday.
Requests made on Saturday won't be delivered until Monday.
Requesting items that aren't books
Items from the following collections will be supplied at times advised by staff at the time of ordering:
- Drawings, paintings, and prints
- Oral history
- Rare books and fine printing