The Manaia Redoubt with its two loop-holed wooden blockhouses, was constructed in 1880 on the earthworks of an old pā. A wooden watch-tower, designed by Constable Hans Knuston, was added later the following year in 1881. The redoubt was garrisoned until 1885-86 by Armed Constabulary under Captain W E Gudgeon. In 1910 the wooden tower came down in a storm. It was replaced by a concrete replica, designed by architect John Duffill, in 1914 by the Manaia Beautifying Society.
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.