Steam locomotive built at New Zealand Railways Addington Workshops in 1915 (maker's no. 163/15), went into service in October 1915, and was named "Passchendaele" in 1925 in honour of the employees of the New Zealand Railways who died in the First World War. Viewed by the Duke of York (later George VI) during his tour in 1927. The locomotive was the first Ab class, number 608. The name "Passchendaele" was removed in 1943, and restored briefly in 1963 during the period of the Railways Centennial Exhibition. See "Register of New Zealand Railways steam locomotives, 1863-1971" by W G Lloyd (1974, p 67, 90-91).
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.