House at 48 Van Dieman Sreet, Nelson. Built circa 1851 as a four room two dormer cottage by Neil MacVicar who died in 1853. Between 1855 and 1868 the land title was owned by George McRae, and then John Blackett. Arthur Samuel Atkinson and Jane Maria (nee Richmond) bought the title in 1872, and until 1883 undertook the building of a second storey, wings, and a tower on the house and gave it the name 'Fairfield'.
It remained in the Atkinson family until 1922, when the home was passed to Nelson Girls College who used it as a boarding house and preparatory school using the name 'Fairfield'.
Between 1930-1964 Nelson Boys College used the building as their boarding house and it was known as 'Fell House' for this time.
The building was in disuse until circa 1979 when Alan Stanton and Friends of Old Fairfield lobbied for the restoration of the building, leading to its registration as a Historic Place Category 1 in 1985 (list number 256). Circa 2000s, it is in use as a venue under the name Fairfield House.