Old Government House (Wellington, N.Z.)

The first Wellington Government House was Colonel William Wakefield's villa, located where the Beehive now stands. Wakefield was the Agent for the New Zealand Company and had built the house in 1840 but had died in 1848. The residence was then used as a hospital for a short period in 1848 after the Marlborough earthquake. The second Wellington Government House was designed by William Henry Clayton (1823-1877) and completed around 1871. Following the fire in the wooden Parliament Buildings in 1907, the then Governor General Lord Plunket offered the use of Government House to house both houses of Parliament until a replacement building could be built. In the interim the Plunkets decamped to Palmerston North where they resided in a house called 'Caccia-Birch' until the replacement third and current Government House was constructed in Newtown, Wellington in 1910. The Old Government House was demolished in 1969 to make way for the construction of The Beehive.

There are 203 related items to this topic
Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, inspecting veterans at Government House, Wellington
Date: 1901 Description: Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, inspecting veterans at Government House during their 1901 visit to New Zealand. Photographer unidentified. Inscripti...
Date: [Between 1910 and 1914?] From: Miller, E D N :Photographs by Isaac Jeffares, and of family Description: Album of photographs taken by Isaac H B Jeffares, circa 1900 to 1914. Most of the views are in the Wellington region, including a large number of the Star Bo...
Anzac Day ceremony, Wellington
Date: 1928 Description: Crowd at an Anzac Day ceremony alongside Government House, Wellington, in 1928. Molesworth Street is in the foreground. Bowen Street is on the left. Photogr...
Government House, Wellington
Date: [Ca 1869] By: Clayton, William Henry, 1823-1877 Description: Early impression by architect William Henry Clayton of Government House, Thorndon, Wellington. Bears little resemblance to completed building. Photographic...
Date: 1881 By: Clarke, William Henshaw, 1831-1910 Description: Shows an arrangement of weapons: knives, axes, pistol, rifles, swords and bayonet. These surround the space in which a group photograph by W H Clarke is inse...
Date: 1880 - 1882 By: Gibbs, William Brickell, 1844?-1898 Description: Watercolour shows a view of the Opunake Redoubt, based on a component of the illustrated page by George Sherriff, in the "Graphic" (London), 8th April 1882, ...
Date: May 1920 Description: Elevated view of the children's demonstration in front of Parliament Buildings to welcome the Prince of Wales. 10,000 scholars of various city and suburban ...
Government House, Wellington
Date: [Between 1897 and 1903] From: Ranfurly family :Photographs Description: Frontal view of the Government House, Wellington, taken between 1897 and 1903 by an unknown photographer Inscriptions: Album page - top centre - Government ...
Date: November 1969 From: Angus Corporation: Photographs of building construction Description: Old Government House, Wellington, photographed in November 1969, shortly before its demolition to make way for the Beehive, by an unknown photographer. Insc...
Date: ca 1880s Description: Government House and grounds with St Mary's Cathedral in the background. Photographer unidentified. Quantity: 1 b&w original negative(s). Physical Descrip...