Kahungunu (Nūhaka, N.Z.)

Whare nui at Kahungunu Marae (also known as Te Tahinga) at Nūhaka. Opened in 1949, with carvings carried out by Pine and John Taiapa. Erected at a cost of $40,000.

There are 5 related items to this topic
Date: 1946 - 1949 Ref: Plans-2000-072 Description: Shows elevations and construction details. Accompanied by a two-page list of the quantities of totara required for carving the various parts of the house. Q...
Date: 1947 From: Ngata, Apirana Turupa (Sir), 1874-1950 : Papers Ref: MS-Papers-6919-0323 Description: File 124 - Contains papers regarding a carved whare Quantity: 1 folder(s). Physical Description: Typescripts
Gathering at the Ngati Kahungunu Meeting House, Nuhaka, Hawke's Bay
Date: 1948 From: New Zealand Free Lance : Photographic prints and negatives Ref: 1/2-101036-G Description: "East Coast official tour" gathering outside the Ngati Kahungunu Meeting House, Nuhaka, Hawke's Bay, in 1948. Photographer unidentified. Other - Note on bac...
Pine Taiapa and Maori wood carvings
Date: ca 1940s Ref: 1/1-003883-G Description: Pine Taiapa standing with items of Maori wood carvings (probably his own work) for the Kahungunu Meeting House in Nuhaka. Photograph taken circa 1940s, by an...
Pine Taiapa working on a wood carving
Date: ca 1940s Ref: 1/1-003882-G Description: Pine Taiapa working on a wood carving for the Kahungunu Meeting House in Nuhaka. Shows him leaning over the carving, holding a chisel. Photograph taken circa...