Pā in Northland, site of a battle in July 1845 during the 'Flagstaff War'. The pā had been fortified by Kawiti and was a major advance in the Māori response to new weaponry, the prototype of 'the modern pā'. Firing and communication trenches gave the occupants maximum protection while allowing rapid movement within the pā. The design of the Ōhaeawai Pā, and the pā subsequently built by Kawiti at Ruapekapeka, became the basis of what is now called the 'gunfighter pā'.
An Anglican church (St Michael) was built on the site of the pā in 1870. Cowan notes that the locality of the pā became known as Ngawha later.