Situated at Waikanae near the railway station. Whakarongotai was relocated from the Te Ati Awa village 'Tukurakau', which was located at the junctions of Te Moana and Greenaway Roads, to its present location about 1886. It was thought to have been built in 1877. The marae was retained in the Parata family until 1954 when Wi Parata's grandson, Tohuroa (Tom) Parata, gifted it to the Maori community Te Ati Awa ki Waikanae. The wharenui is called 'Whakarongotai / Puku Mahi Tamariki'. Located at Marae Lane, Waikanae.