- December 1988
- Part one of a three-part interview by Te Ripowai Higgins (Ngāi Tūhoe) with Sir James (Hemi) Henare (Ngā Puhi) concerning his views on Tiriti O Waitangi, te reo Maori, the Maori Language Act 1987, and various other subjects. Includes phone in guests. Henare discusses being appointed at age 18 years to Te Runanga O Nga Kaumatua Rangatira O Ngapuhi mo te Tiriti O Waitangi; tuku rangatiratanga; the principles of mana motuhake. Near the end of the interview, Henare begins discussing the future of the Māori language, education of Māori children, and the need for bilingualism. Quantity: 1 10" reel(s).
- Public use requires the permission of Te Reo Irirangi O Te Upoko O Te Ika Trust
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- Te Reo Irirangi o Te Upoko o Te Ika: Sound recordings / Interview with Sir James Henare
- 1 10" reel(s), Radio programmes, Open reel audiotapes
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: