- 23 April 1994 - 23 Apr 1994
- Ng-Waishing, Ron, active 1930s-
- Ron Ng-Waishing born South China while parents were on holiday during Depression years in New Zealand. Brought up in Christchurch. Recalls leaving school aged 16, going to work in parent's market garden and later working in freezing works. Remembers becoming involved in Labour movement while at the freezing works. Comments on acceptance of Chinese Community. Explains that grandfather came to New Zealand as gold miner 1860-1865 (Central Otago). Gives reasons for Chinese succeeding - lack of religious barriers. Comments on Confucius' philosophy. Recalls moving to Auckland in the mid 1950s, leasing land in Papatoetoe and later purchasing in Mangere before moving to Pukekohe. Talks about racial discrimination and gives incidents. Comments on fighting for human rights in 1960s. Mentions politics in farming. Recalls standing, unsucessfully, as Labour Party candidate for Franklin in the 1963 election - first person of Asian descent to stand for Parliament. Discusses protectionism. Feels New Zealand Labour Party should have policy on racial discrimination part of its policy. Gives views on Immigration Law - helped change the immigration policy. Was awarded the Queens Service medal. Mentions Mike Moore. Venue - Pukekohe Interviewer(s) - Robert Paton Arrangement: Tape numbers - OHC-006107-006108 Quantity: 2 C60 cassette(s). 1 printed abstract(s). 2 Hours Duration. Finding Aids: Abstract Available - abstracting complete AB-1368.
- Additional description
- Original recordings not available for playback. Surrogate copies will be provided.
- No public use without written permission of copyright holder Copyright: Copyright held by Joyce Paton
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted material
- 2 C60 cassette(s), 1 printed abstract(s), 2 Hours Duration, Oral histories
See original record
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
CopyrightAll rights reserved
Date: 23 April 1994 From: Labour Movement Oral History Project - Part II Description: Quantity: 1 printed abstract(s). 2 Hours Duration.
Date: 23 April 1994 - 23 Apr 1994 From: Labour Movement Oral History Project - Part II Description: Recorded by - Robert Paton Arrangement: Tape sequence - tape 1 of 2 Quantity: 1 C60 cassette(s). 1 Hours Duration. Physical Description: Physical Characte...
Date: 23 April 1994 - 23 Apr 1994 From: Labour Movement Oral History Project - Part II Description: Arrangement: Tape sequence - tape 2 of 2 Quantity: 1 C60 cassette(s). Physical Description: Physical Characteristics - gamma ferric oxide.