Once were warriors production album three
- [ca 1993-1994]
Photograph negatives and transparencies relating to the production of the 1994 New Zealand film 'Once were warriors' in Auckland, taken by Kerry Brown with assistance from Ann Shelton. Individual frames do not include information about which of the two photographers took them.
- Featured actors are Rena Owen (Beth), Temuera Morrison (Jake), Mamaengaroa Kerr-Bell (Grace), Julian Arahanga (Nig), Taungaroa Emile (Boogie), Cliff Curtis (Bully), Pete Smith (Dooley), George Henare (Bennett), Mere Boynton (Mavis), Shannon Williams (Toot), Rachel Morris Jnr (Polly) and Joseph Kairau (Huata), with images of other actors also included.
- Contains extensive images of scenes from the film, portraits of actors, the crew at work, and other aspects of the production of the film. Images cover a number of key scenes including the opening with Beth pushing her trolley; taiaha scene with Boogie and Bennett and haka scene at the boys' home; the Toa gang car travelling to the scene of Nig's initiation and the initiation; Jake and his mates hanging out at the local bar; Toot and Grace in Toot's car; Grace's tangi; Beth and Jake singing together at the party; Grace's suicide; Jake making Grace kiss Bully; Polly's birthday; Boogie and Toot doing the dishes after Grace's tangi; Huata watching Nig working on his Toa gang patch; rental car scene; Jake fighting the king hitter in the bar; and Boogie's arrest.
- Tamhori is seen directing rehearsals of a number of scenes with the actors and talking with crew members. One series of location images show buildings and environments used in the film including the Heke family state house in Otara and backyard tree; Northern Motorway and surrounds; strip mall with shops, pedestrian area, bus stop, and clock; industrial area, including area used for Grace's route to Toot's car; exterior of the bar where Jake drinks; underpass [Boogie's arrest scene?]; car park; Ambury Park (Mangere); railway shed and yard used for Toa gang headquarters; and other unidentified locations. Tamahori and others are seen investigating some of these locations.
- Equipment and crew are featured, including the rig for the car ride to Nig's initiation, the crane at Grace's tangi, monitors and the camera in Boogie's window smashing scene, and various fight scenes. Crew includes clapper loader [Lee Allison?], make up supervisor [Debra East?], fight coordinator Robert Bruce, cinematographer Stuart Dryburgh, producer Robin Scholes, [carvings and tattoo designer Guy Moana?], and others.
- One series of images shows makeup and prosthetic effects for the film. These include Beth after she has been beaten by Jake, Nig after his initiation, and Toot's [glue huffing?] makeup.
Other - Original ring binder titled "Labelled Images"
Arrangement: Some images have been removed from original enclosures for conservation or access purposes. Where possible, the original arrangement has been duplicated in the new enclosure, with any text annotations transferred. Where the duplication of the original arrangement was not ideal (for instance when two negatives were in one sleeve) the original arrangement has been indicated through annotations by Library staff. Some examples of inadequate original enclosures have been retained within the album (in the first instance of rehousing when there were multiple examples). Markers and flags that rely on adhesive have been future proofed using notations on enclosures using black marker pen. Where original enclosures have frayed at the edges, exposing the negative or transparency underneath, A4 plastic sleeves have been used to protect the item while retaining the original arrangement and accompanying information.
Quantity: 1 ring binder containing photographic negatives.
Physical Description: Ring binder containing photographic negatives in plastic sleeves
- Additional description
Album needs to be acclimatised for 24 hours.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Curator required - Available for viewing by appointment with Curatorial staff.
- Part of
- Communicado Features Limited: Photographs relating to the feature film Once were warriors
- 1 ring binder containing photographic negatives, Negatives, Transparencies, Ring binder containing photographic negatives in plastic sleeves
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.