Wallis, William Fletcher, 1874-1958: Photograph album relating to service in the South African War (1899-1902)
- Wallis, William Fletcher, 1874-1958
Album of photographs taken in 1901 by Lieutenant William Fletcher Wallis during his service in the South African War (1899-1902) with Sixth New Zealand Mounted Rifles. One image showing Wallis was taken by an unknown photographer. Album probably compiled by Wallis.
Images show various subjects, including:
- Scenes aboard the steamship Cornwall transporting the 6th Contingent to South Africa, including pistol practice, horses in stables on deck, washing on line, soldiers relaxing in deck chairs, and arrival in Table Bay
- Soldiers standing in line or posing informally with rifles and bandoliers. Also Africans attached to the New Zealand Contingent as labourers or scouts.
- Blockhouses of various kinds
- Soldiers marching and riding horses in columns across the veldt, and being transported in open train wagons
- Scenes on the veldt and at encampments, including soldiers resting, washing, repairing equipment, butchering animals, having dental work, firing artillery, shoeing horses, and breaking in horses. Also wide views of encampments.
- Regimental sports such as tug of war, bareback mule wrestling, and high jump. One image captioned "What are they doing?" may show soldiers gambling.
- Zulu people in villages. One image shows the weaving of a hut.
- Signalling using heliographs
- Combat scenes with field artillery and pom-pom guns (QF 1 pounder) being fired by the Royal Artillery
- Mounted soldiers burning Boer houses, escorting prisoners and refugees, and dead livestock
- War graves, including that of Sergeant Major Sidney Smith, who is shown alive in several previous images
- General Plumer riding across a stream and consulting with staff
- William Fletcher Wallis riding in rickshaw with a `Lieut. Wood' in Durban
Numbers appear on all the prints, but their significance is not known. Many of the photographs have captions, some illegible.
Source of title - Title supplied by Library
Inscriptions: Front cover - "Boer War. South Africa. 1901" and "Taken by Lieut Wallis. 6th N.Z.M.R."
Relationship complexity - One photograph was published in the 10 Oct 1901 issue of the Weekly News, and two others in the 31 Oct 1901 issue. Other images credited to Wallis and not found in the album were also published in these issues.
Relationship complexity - Several identical images appear in the John Crawford book `To fight for the Empire' (Auckland: Reed, 1999), where they are credited to the Stowers Collection, Kippenberger Archive, Army Museum, Waiouru
During 1901, when the photographs in the album were taken, William Fletcher Wallis served with the Sixth New Zealand Mounted Rifles in Transvaal, Orange Free State, and Cape Colony
Quantity: 1 album(s).
Physical Description: Green album measuring 18 x 25 cm, with white lettering and gold insignia on cover
- Additional description
Back cover is detached from end papers and requries careful handling
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- 1 album(s), Gelatin silver prints, Group portraits, Landscape photographs, Photograph albums, Photographs, Portraits, Green album measuring 18 x 25 cm, with white lettering and gold insignia on cover
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it:Wallis, William Fletcher, 1874-1958. Wallis, William Fletcher, 1874-1958: Photograph album relating to service in the South African War (1899-1902). Ref: PA1-o-1894. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/35362096