- Dominion Federation of Townswomen's Guilds
Comprises Executive Committee minute books (1938-1942, 1946-1967) and annual Council minute books (1938-1955). Also includes scrapbooks consisting of annual reports, clippings, photographs and other federation material (1938-1979), correspondence (1951), photographs, miscellaneous copies of the `Townswoman', copies of the constitution and other miscellaneous administrative material.
Other - NB: Black and white negative (C 16516) of the Shirley guild (Christchurch, 1978) available through the Pictorial Reference Section
Source of title - Supplied
The first Townswomen's Guild in New Zealand was established by Ann E Jerome Spencer in Napier in 1932. In 1937 the New Zealand Union of Townswomen's Guilds, was formed in Wellington. At the 1938 annual council meeting a split resulted in the creation by 13 guilds of the Dominion Federation of Townswomen's Guilds. The Guilds sought to improve the educational, civic and social opportunities for women in cities and towns, and to encourage women's `development as citizens'. The Federation is involved in fundraising activities for various causes and promotes lectures and activities for Guild members. `The Townswomen' is the Federation's journal. In 1992 there were 41 Guilds with a combined membership of 1900.
Quantity: 2 box(es) (12 pieces). 1 folder(s). 1 volume(s). 0.70 Linear Metres.
Physical Description: Mss, typescript, photographs and printed matter
Finding Aids: Preliminary listing available for Acc 90-277 only.
Transfers: To Serials Collection - 5 issues of `NZ Townswoman' transferred to serials.
- Access restrictions
- No access restrictions
- 2 box(es) (12 pieces), 1 folder(s), 1 volume(s), 0.70 Linear Metres, Minutes (Records), Speeches, Business correspondence, Administrative reports, Scrapbooks, Financial records, Clippings, Photographs, Manuscripts, Mss, typescript, photographs and printed matter
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.