- July 1862
- Te Apatu, Piripi Patoromu, active 1850s-1860s; Pohio, Horomona, 1815-1880; Wehetu, Kira, active 1862; Te Rangitake, Wiremu Kingi, -1882; Waiari, Tamarau, 1835-1904; Te Kahuoterangi, Ihakara, active 1850s; Terato, Karari, active 1862; Tukairangi, Te Poihipi, active 1862-1870; Henare, active 1850; Papahia, Tomairangi, active 1860s; Winiata, active 1863; Tunui, Hori Wi, active 1860s; Whakataki, Te Karehana, -1897; Tahua, Kingi, active 1862; Rangirurupuri, active 1862; Tamaihengia, Hohepa, active 1828-1862; Tieki, Hunia, active 1862; Patena, Wiremu, active 1862
- Contains letters from Maori to Governor Grey with regard to land tenure (reservations, subdivisions, payments, and warnings about false claims), and with regard to mail delivery during the time of the New Zealand wars; also contains a lengthy letter to Grey from the Wairarapa Runanga repudiating a land sale by Wi Kingi Tutepakihirangi because he was not an owner of the land that was sold; letter confirming arrangements between Grey and Te Runanga o Ngati Toa, acknowledges his authority and expects Grey to honour their agreement (?). Includes letter from Horomona Pohio requesting financial assistance to build a church, which would double as a school, for the people of Ngati Huirapa and the education of their youth. Includes letter from Ropata Hururmutu informing the Governor that Ngati Toa retain the authority relating to Motuhara, Hongoeka & Haukopua (lands about Plimmerton), some of which are leased to Mr Levy, on behalf of their children; letter from the Muaupoko elder Te Rangirurupuni to Governor Grey about letters requesting payment from Ngati Toa for their lands; and letter from Tamaihengia requesting formal recognition by Grey of the Ngati Toa "Runanga". letter from "Nga Runanga e rua o Whangaehu me Mangawero", by the Ngati Apa, requesting the Governor Grey should come and visit them. Arrangement: Previously from 1/1 Official Correspondence series Quantity: 1 folder(s). Finding Aids: Piece level inventory available.
- Additional description
- Alternative form available: Microfilm available. Use MS-Copy-Micro-0765-03
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- White, John, 1826-1891 : Papers / 1/2 Maori letters
- 1 folder(s), Manuscripts
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: