[Wing, Thomas (Capt), 1810-1888] :A sketch of the entrance of Tauronga [Tauranga], a small harbour in the Bay of Plenty on the east coast of New Zealand ... by Capt Thomas Wing, June 1835. [ms map]
- Wing, Thomas, 1810-1888; Great Britain. Admiralty
- A hydrographic chart sketching the entrance of the Tauranga Harbour, depicting the path of the British Navy ship 'Fanny', around Mount Maunganui and Waikouwai, with full sounding information. Identifies fortified pa site named 'Tumaitai Pa', the accompanying diagram identifies six whare or houses and two storage huts. On the other side of the water, text reads 'the chief of this place anutra' (sic), text on water reads 'going to Tomonalap Pa'. Denotes several sentences of text on geographical features, hydrographic detail and information on safe entrance and exit to the harbour. Other Titles - Tauranga Text 'By Capt. Thomas Wing' (and underlined in signature style) added to map in black ink. See also MapColl-832.16aj/1835/Acc.3899, which is a photographic copy of a hand copy of this original, (with slight changes, such as text in different hand, storage pits drawn as trees). Quantity: 1 manuscript map(s). Physical Description: Ink on paper, linen backed, 26 x 32 cm.
- Additional description
- Alternative form available: Neg C 1440, 2331, 83298 1/2. Aperture card and colour transparency available
- No photocopying allowed
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- 1 manuscript map(s), Manuscript maps, Nautical charts, Ink on paper, linen backed, 26 x 32 cm.
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: