Scales, Sydney Ernest, 1916-2003 :'Hire purchase no longer evil'. "...and you get three years to pay!" [9 August, 1957]
- Scales, Sydney Ernest, 1916-2003
- A furniture salesman describes to a young couple the attributes of a cabinet with the heads of Cabinet Ministers as handles on the drawers. A card on the top of the dresser says 'National Cabinet'. A newspaper clipping dated Aug. 6 is attached to the top right of the cartoon; its title reads 'Hire purchase no longer evil'. Refers to a statement by Minister of Industries and Commerce, E.H. Halstead, that hire purchase was on a good basis so people should buy using 'easy terms'. Refers to the economic policy of the National government that debt was not necessarily a bad thing. Quantity: 1 newspaper clipping. Physical Description: Newspaper clipping, 130 x 160 mm
- Please check copyright
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- [Various cartoonists including Sir Gordon Minhinnick 1902-1992] :[Newspaper clippings of cartoons from New Zealand newspapers. 15 December 1948 to 5 September 1972.] / [Various cartoonists] :[One folder of cartoon clippings from various New Zealand newspapers, 22 January - 29 November 1957.]
- 1 newspaper clipping, Works of art, Clippings, Cartoons (Commentary), Newspaper clipping, 130 x 160 mm
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: