Turner, Nathaniel 1793-1864 :[Wesleydale Mission Station, Kaeo, Whangaroa, Northland. 1825 or 1826?]
- 1824 - 1827
- Turner, Nathaniel (Rev), 1793-1864; Methodist Missionary Society
A bush-clad hilly area with the Kaeo River winding through towards Whangaroa Harbour (out of sight to the right). In the middle ground is a low rise with the mission station on top, with five buildings and a flagpole carrying the Union Jack. The whole area is cleared and fenced with well-established gardens and fields, with crops and fruit trees. There are cows grazing in a field to the left and several whare and a food platform with a standing and a seated Maori on the far left. In the foreground, inside an enclosure with a low fence, are another standing and a seated Maori man, four more whare and two more food platforms. The view is probably taken from the lower slopes of Pohue, a terraced conical pa site near the mission station
A letter accompanies the drawing, signed by Nathaniel Turner, describing the scene and the use made of the various buildings.
Wesleydale station was founded in June 1823 by Rev'd Samuel Leigh and Rev'd William White. Nathaniel Turner and John Hobbs joined them several months later, when Leigh returned to New South Wales, because of his poor health. On January 15 1827, Maori attacked the station and burned it to the ground. The suggested dating of this work is because the station looks well-established. It is most likely to be shown in 1825 or 1826.
Accompanying letter: To the Secretaries of the Wesleyan Missionary Society ... London: The long Building at the back is a Rush House, 45 feet by 12 - 27 of which is a Schoolroom, the remainder which is in two rooms is occupied by Luke. The House below is our Dwelling the main building of which is 26 by 13, with a Skilling or Leanto at the back 10 feet wide and another at the Southern end 8 feet. The Building to the right on the same level contains three apartments, two below and one above. The one above serves as a Store for Native Provisions etc etc. The one below it is principly occupied by the Native Girls. The Skilling or Leanto is the Carpenters Shop. The tall building above is the Barn and the small one to the right of it is the Cow House which is Rush and Logs. The one down the Bank below is the Boat House, built of Rush. The Garden and young Orchard are within the inner fence below the House. The Wheat Field is to the left and below that. That below and to the left where the Cattle are seen is a Flat of uncultivated ground coverd with small brush wood. The enclosures below are the Native Plantations or Kumera Grounds. The river runs in the front and to the right and left in a very Serpentine manner. The Foreground is part of a Native Village. The principle village where the Pa is, which could not be included is just to the left. The Hills immediately at the back are barren, but those in the distance are covered with fine Timber, Kaudi etc etc. The view of the Settlement does not nearly equal the view in richness of Scenery as from the Settlement. Nath.l Turner.
"Luke" referred to in Turner's letter was Luke Ward, an English servant who assisted on the station, with his wife.
Quantity: 1 drawing(s).
Physical Description: Pencil on wove paper 242 x 381 mm (irreg.)
Provenance: Collection of the Methodist Missionary Society.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- 1 drawing(s), Works of art, Pencil works, Pencil on wove paper 242 x 381 mm (irreg.), Orientation: Horizontal image, Watermark: 'J.HALL 1820'
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it:Turner, Nathaniel (Rev), 1793-1864. Turner, Nathaniel 1793-1864 :[Wesleydale Mission Station, Kaeo, Whangaroa, Northland. 1825 or 1826?]. Ref: B-121-023. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/22909654