Cobham, Samuel, 1799-1881 :Plan of freehold estate situated near the Hutt Bridge containing about 2 acres 3 roods 38 perches, divided into paddocks well fenced in, with 4 roomed house, well of water, slaughter house, stockyard &c. &c. [ms map]. Also plan of leasehold estate, Samuel Cobham, surveyor, [1856?]
- Cobham, Samuel, 1799-1881
The main map of the freehold estate, with frontage and depth measurements, is adjacent to the part of the Hutt River marked as the only place fordable in case of accident to the bridge which leads to Plowman Street. The site of the Hutt Bridge is marked downstream. A minor change to the riverbank as at Aug. 1860, has been added at a later date. A road, pencilled in and also added at a later date, is marked 'Road as on ground.' Betweeen Plowman Street and the site of the Mechanics Institute are three sections, labelled allotments. The first includes the site of a well, while the third has a site of a house in which the store room, kitchen, parlour and bedroom are named. All three allotments are marked as sold. Paddocks are marked with measurements in roods and perches, one including a slaughter house and stockyard. A lake is marked in the vicinity of the street provisionally planned for the bridge approach.
An area of land is labelled 'Street as originally laid out, but the situation of the bridge will render it useless as a street.' This has been divided into lots. Lot A is annotated 'To be given to Mr Ploughman' [sic]. Lot B 'Reserve for a lockup'.' Lot C 'Given to Capt. Daniell to compensate for road taken out of his ground'. Includes an annotation 'W. Fox, Ch. L. Court'.
The leasehold estate, with frontage measurements, includes the site of houses with a dairy, kitchen, parlour and bedrooms marked. A second site includes the parlour, shop and verandah. Originally one lot, this was divided into two at a later date.
Note on verso states: Plan of Plowmans estate, which has Riddiford written across it and has also been struck through and Mr Riddiford's Plans written underneath
Signature of Cobham in bottom right corner
Note on catalogue card states that Cobham arrived ca1854
Quantity: 2 manuscript map(s) on one sheet.
Physical Description: Ink, pencil and colourwash on paper, linen backed, 56 x 75.6 cm.
- Photocopying not permitted.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- 2 manuscript map(s) on one sheet, Manuscript maps, Ink, pencil and colourwash on paper, linen backed, 56 x 75.6 cm.
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: