- 1 Jan 1850-31 Dec 1851
- Swainson, Henry Gabriel, 1830-1892; Leeper, Janet, active 1960s
- Journal kept by Swainson on board HMS `Havannah' and HMS `Bramble' on voyages between England, Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Contains detailed descriptions of social life in Sydney, Wellington, Hobart and Auckland, and of the Society Islands, the Isle of Pines, Fiji and Rio de Janeiro. Includes a photograph of Swainson and an engraving of Crick Church, Northamptonshire. A typed inventory of outline of events is included. Accompanying material - Photograph of Henry Gabriel Swainson; transcript of portion of journal, Oct-Nov 1850, when Swainson was at the Isle of Pines; outline of events noted in the journal, by Lynda Scarth; note by Dorothy Swainson re provenance of journal; engraving of Crick Church, Northamptonshire Source of title - Supplied title: title on front endpaper `Private journal/Commencing Jan 1st 1850/Ending December 31st 1851/Henry Swainson/Her Majesty's Ship "Havannah"/ Sydney 1850-' Quantity: 1 volume(s) (186 pages). 0.02 Linear Metres. Physical Description: Holograph (23 cm, ½ red calf, marbled boards in red buckram hinged lid box) Transfers: Two pencil sketches (1) Hutt River (1849) signed W & HS and (2) of HMS `Havannah' at Darling Point, Port Jackson, removed to Drawings and Prints. Enlarged copy of photograph of Swainson in PS 284152.. Processing information: Digitisation details - Inserts located at the end of the digital files
- Additional description
- Alternative form available: Microfilm copies available in Katherine Mansfield Reading Room. Use MS-Copy-Micro-0172
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- 1 volume(s) (186 pages), 0.02 Linear Metres, Diaries, Manuscripts, Holograph (23 cm, ½ red calf, marbled boards in red buckram hinged lid box)
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: