[Fairburn, Edwin, 1827-1911] :Sketch map of CMS Mission Station Paihia - as in early times [ms map]. [n.d.]
- 1830 - 1840
- Fairburn, Edwin, 1827-1911; Auckland Public Library
- Map, with cadastral and topographical information, showing the Church Missionary Society Mission Station at Paihia, circa 1835. Shows the site of an old whare paru mud hut on H William's property, W William's stone house, the chapel, WT Fairburn's house and carpenter's and smith's shops. Shows C Baker's home, and the first printing office beside a stone hut occupied by David (Rawiri) Taiwhanga about 1833 with his children Hill and Martin. Text on map mentions that Sunday school teacher Mr Joseph Matthews, and Hira and Matenga (Hill and Marsden). Shows bathing places in the Horotutu Creek, and further text mentions the site of New Zealand's the first game of cricket, Fairburn's trek across the sandbar to Motu Maire and shows outlying islands. Names Waitangi and Horotutu Beach. It is not conclusive whether or not Edwin Fairburn made this copy of the original map, or the orignal map itself. Other Titles - Sketch map of Church Missionary Society Mission Station Pahia - as in early times Written on map recto: 'Copy of map of Paihia by Edwin Fairburn, circa 1833'. 'Fairburn's map of Paihia'. Edwin Fairburn was the son of the CMS missionary, William Fairburn Quantity: 1 manuscript map(s). Physical Description: Ink and watercolour on paper, paper and linen backed,35.9 x 26.6 cm Transfers: From Manuscripts & Archives - unknown source.
- Additional description
- Alternative form available: Colour Transparencies
- Photocopying not permitted
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- 1 manuscript map(s), Manuscript maps, Sketch maps, Ink and watercolour on paper, paper and linen backed,35.9 x 26.6 cm
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: