- The cartoon is part of a group of three drawn before a rugby test was played so the cartoonist covered all possible options. This cartoon shows an All Black standing triumphant over a Springbok player carrying a ball that reads, fourth test finaliser. At his feet are two other rugby balls representing the first and second tests. The Springbok player clutches his ball which represents the third test. In the background the South African players can be seen trudging home and a kiwi stands above an unhappy Springbok. Refers to a possible result of the fourth test of the 1965 Springbok tour. The match was played in Auckland, 18 September 1965. New Zealand won the game 20 - 3, also winning the test series 3 - 1. This cartoon is the one eventually used. Exhibited in 'Guts and Glory' an exhibition of rugby cartoons, organised by the New Zealand Cartoon Archive Trust in association with the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, at the National Library Gallery, 15 July - 7 November 1999, and then touring until 2001. Curated by Susan Foster. Quantity: 1 original cartoon(s). Physical Description: Ink on paper, 360 x 500 mm. Transfers: The other two cartoons of this group are at B-137-292 and B-137-296..
- Copyright must be cleared before this image is reproduced. The Library may be able to help with an address
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- Lodge, Nevile Sidney 1918-1989 :[Archive of original cartoons for the Evening Post and Sports Post, 1941 to 1988] / Lodge, Nevile Sidney 1918-1989 :[Cartoons for the Sports Post, 1965]
- 1 original cartoon(s), Works of art, Cartoons (Commentary), Ink on paper, 360 x 500 mm., Orientation: Horizontal image
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: