Various artists :[1. Bay of Oapoa in Ulietea; 2 A family of Dusky Bay. London, Sir Richard Phillips & Co., 1820]
- 1769 - 1773 - 1820
- Hodges, William, 1744-1797; Parkinson, Sydney, 1745-1771
- The top image, from an original by Sydney Parkinson, shows a scene on the waterfront at Raiatea in the Society Islands, with canoes on the right. In the centre foreground a group of men and women talk around a large basket of fish. There is a curve-roofed shelter at the far left, housing a double-hulled canoe. A figure walks in from the left bearing a laden pole over his left shoulder. There is a coconut palm at the far left, and high jagged hills in the distance. The lower image, from an original by William Hodges, shows four figures, a woman on the left, standing with a spear, a man standing with a taiaha, and a woman seated at the right with an infant on her back. A redrawing of an engraving by William Hodges, from Cook's second voyage to New Zealand, with the figures and position of the land and sea rearranged Other Titles - Oopoa, Raiatea Extended Title - Published in Samuel Prior's "All the voyages round the world" Quantity: 2 b&w art print(s) on one sheet. Physical Description: Engravings on sheet 180 x 104 mm.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- [Various artists] :[Plates from All the voyages round the world] - [London ; Sir Richard Phillips & Co., 1820] / [Various artists] :[1. Wallis's interview with the Queen of Otaheite; 2. Terra del Fuego; 3. Bay of Oapoa in Ulietea; 4. A family of Dusky Bay. London ; Sir Richard Phillips & Co., 1820]
- 2 b&w art print(s) on one sheet, Works of art, Engravings, Engravings on sheet 180 x 104 mm., Orientation: Vertical image
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: