Cape Stephens

Reed: Named by Captain James Cook on 31 March 1770, the day of his departure from New Zealand, after Sir Philip Stephens, one of the two secretaries of the Admiralty who had been of great service to Cook. Māori name: Takapourewa, lit. takapou: matipou trees; rewa: to float, melt.

There are 2 related items to this topic
Date: 1840 - 1849 By: Swainson, William, 1789-1855 Ref: A-186-015 Description: A distant headland, looking north west along Cook Strait Copy of pencil drawing (98 x 127 mm), which is probably a copy by Mary Marshall of an original by W...
Hodges, William 1744-1797 :[Trombes de mer aupres de la Nouvelle Zelande] Engraved by D Lerpiniere; painted from nature by Wm Hodges. [Paris? 1778?]
Date: 1776 - 1778 - 1773 By: Hodges, William, 1744-1797; Lerpiniere, Daniel, 1745?-1785 Ref: B-085-009 Description: The Resolution shown in a wild storm with three waterspouts, off Cape Stephens, the northernmost point of D'Urville Island, at the top of the South Island. ...