- Te Kaeaea, -1871; Wakatuku, Noa, active 19th century; Wakaruamoko, Aperahama, active 19th century; Panapa, Te Rana, active 1850s; Te Hapuku, -1878; Te Waihiku, Wi, active 1860s; Kawai, Henry, active 1860s; Kawatini, Te Waka, active 1846-1856; Te Whiti, Poharama, active 1850s-1860s; Te Whiti, Kataraina, active 1840s; Ropiha, Hone, -1863; Kawaho, Wiremu, active 1840s; Matena, Henare, active 1840s; Waiti, Hori More, active 1840s; Nunui, Paora, active 1870s; Kapo, Ihaka, active 1860s-1870s; Pihopa, Hipirini, active 1870s; Hakiwai, Arapeta, active 1870s; Te Kamura, Wiremu Parata, active 1840s; Pokau, Manihera, active 1840s; Parae, Tawai, active 1840s; Rongomaimaka, active 1840s; Rehia, Te Amahau, active 1850s; Te Apatu, Piripi Patoromu, active 1850s-1860s; Niania, Hori, active 1850s-1860s; Te Hei, active 1852; Apiata, active 1852; Matenga, Ani, active 1850s-1860s; Horehore, Hohepa, active 1850s; Haeana, Hamiora, active 1840s; Tane, Wi, active 1850s-1860s; Poneke, Rora, active 1870s; Te Hoakakari, Ropata, active 1850s; Te Ngaone, Rapana, active 19th century; Te Ota, Wiremu, active 1850s-1860s; Torotoro, Paora, active 1850-1865; Tareha Te Moananui, 1810-1880; Te Paea, Te Teira, active 1860s; Ropiha, Paora, active 1860s-1899
- Contains letters from Maori about a wide range of topics; there are letters about land issues in Taranaki, Wairarapa and Hawke's Bay (the letters include information about boundaries of various blocks together with some sketch maps, lists of the land holdings of individuals, sale and lease agreements, price negotiations, receipts for payments, lands claimed by Ngati Tama and Ngati Mutunga in north Taranaki, and the return of certain lands to Maori) There are also letters about the provision of goods and services by Maori (including payment for work as police, ship-berthing rights at Gisborne, charges for firewood, and labour costs), receipts for goods and cash received, and a copy of the will of Rora Poneke. Language - All material is in Maori Quantity: 1 folder(s).
- Additional description
- Alternative form available: Microfilm available. Use MS-Copy-Micro-0726-52
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- McLean, Donald (Sir), 1820-1877 : Papers / Series 2 Inward letters (Maori)
- 1 folder(s), Manuscripts
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Purchasing this Item
This item is available as a high resolution download. A request to buy an image can take up to 10 working days to approve. It will depend on copyright and how the image is going to be used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it: