- 18 Aug 1917
- Brigadier generals carrying the coffin at the funeral of Brigadier General Francis Earl Johnston killed during World War I. Behind them walk fellow officers. They are passing two rows of crosses in the foreground. Photograph taken France 18 August 1917 by Henry Armytage Sanders. Brig. Gen. Earl Johnston was killed by a sniper's bullet while visiting outposts north of Douve on the road from Warneton to Gapaard on 7 August 1917 (History of NZ Division, Vol. II, p. 243) Inscriptions: Photographer's title on negative - bottom right - H193 Quantity: 1 b&w original negative(s). Physical Description: Dry plate glass negative 4 x 5 inches
- Additional description
- Alternative form available: An original print from this negative is in album PA1-f-091 - Caption - "Funeral of Brigadier General F. E. Johnston, CB, killed by sniper in advanced post. Brig. Generals of the N.Z. Division carried the coffin. 18.8.17" (Album)
- No known copyright restrictions. To the best of the Alexander Turnbull Library's knowledge, under New Zealand law: there is no copyright or other intellectual property rights in this item in New Zealand; and it may be copied and otherwise re-used in New Zealand without copyright or other intellectual property right related restriction. However the Alexander Turnbull Library requests that the images are used and re-used in a manner that respects their status as documentary heritage and taonga. Alexander Turnbull Library will not be liable to you, on any legal basis (including negligence), for any loss or damage you suffer through your use of this material, except in those cases where the law does not allow us to exclude or limit our liability to you.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- Royal New Zealand Returned and Services' Association :New Zealand official negatives, World War 1914-1918 / Royal New Zealand Returned and Services' Association New Zealand official negatives, World War 1914-1918: H Series negatives
- 1 b&w original negative(s), Negatives, Dry plate glass negative 4 x 5 inches, Orientation: Horizontal image
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Downloading this item
This item is available as a high resolution download. No further permissions are required for use of this image, however full citations and acknowledgements should be included wherever the images are used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It can be modified, remixed and built upon. It can be used commercially.
If reproducing this item, it is helpful to include the following credit: