New Zealand Railways. Publicity Branch
The Publicity Branch was established in 1927 (see AJHR 1936, D.2, page xxvi). The studios were originally opened in 1920 to give help with good poster design to firms hiring outdoor advertising space on railway hoardings. From an initial ten staff in 1920, the number reached 74 by 1926, and continued to be one of the leaders in posterdesign during the 1930s. In 1955, the staff numbered 58, and 61 in 1965 (these last figures from McLintock's "Encyclopaedia of New Zealand", 1966). Artists who worked for the Studios included: Stanley Davis, Gordon Tovey, Frederick Ellis, Don Grey [?], Maurice Poulton, James Alfred Morrison, Alister Donald McKenzie, Henry Charles Lock, Sidney Oliver Jorgen Wiberg (1911-1988), Casimir Ortyl, Arthur Edward Lawn, Barry Ellis, M S Bergin, N Butler, J D Anstiss.