Morgan, John, 1829-1916
Born in Gillingham, Dorset, and came to New Zealand with his brother William in the 'Berkshire' in 1850. Married Mary Elvins Faull. He took up land at Tataraimaka in Taranaki, but in 1853 moved to Wanganui, where he leased land from Imlays at Balgownie. In 1861, after visiting Gabriel's Gully he bought Newtonlees, a property of 700 acres near Wiritoa Lake, which he worked till 1907. He represented Wangaehu in the Wellington Provincial Council, 1868-1875. He was a member of the first Wanganui Harbour Board, and a member of the first Wanganui County Council. Morgan was a founder of the Wanganui A & P Association and the Okoia Dairy Company. He was also something of an artist with pen and ink (Dictionary of NZ biography / Scholefield). See obituary - Wanganui chronicle, 2 May 1916, p 6.