Aotea Wesleyan Mission Station

Wesleyan (Methodist) mission station established in 1844 by Rev Gideon Smales at a place called Rauraukauere where he proceeded to erect his station which he called "Beechamdale" after one of the Secretaries of the Wesleyan Missionary Society in England. In 1868 with Raglan and Kawhia were combined in one circut under the Rev Cort Schnackenberg.

There are 3 related items to this topic
Letter from Hemi to Henare
Date: 26 Dec 1870 From: McLean, Donald (Sir), 1820-1877 : Papers Ref: MS-Papers-0032-0694G-18 Description: Letter written from Aotea Mission with contemporary copy by C.H.S. with notes Quantity: 1 piece (6 pages on 2 leaves).
Date: 1839-1894 By: Smales, Gideon, 1817-1894 Ref: Micro-MS-0304 Description: Includes shipboard journal kept on board the `Triton' from Bristol to Hokianga, 1839-1840; record of a journey from Mangungu to the Bay of Islands and from t...
Date: 1855 By: Smales, John Bumby, 1841-1869 Ref: MapColl-832.14gbbd/[ca.1855]/Acc.23678 Description: Plan of Wesleyan Mission Station showing church, missionary house, cottage, store, kitchen building, large garden, lands, boathouse, the road to the church, ...