Empress of Britain (Ship : 1930-1940)
Flagship passenger liner of the Canadian Pacific Line, built by John Brown & Co, Clydebank, Scotland, and completed in June 1930 (42,348 gross tons). It was the second of three ships of that name owned by the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company. Used for passenger and mail service between in United Kingdom and Canada.
Her first sea trial was in May 1931. Its regular route was Southampton - Quebec. During the winter months it undertook world cruises, visiting New Zealand in 1938.
In September 1939 after the outbreak of World War II, the ship was requisitioned for troop transport use. In March 1940 the ship was sent to Australia and New Zealand to transport troops to Europe.
On 26th October 1940 it was disabled by a German bomber, and then torpedoed and sunk by a U boat off the west coast of Ireland. It was the largest Allied passenger ship to be sunk during World War Two.