First established in 1852 as the Ōtaki Native School, an Anglican missionary school and boarding house attached to the adjacent Rangiatea Māori Church. Known as the Native College by 1896 when Mrs Frances Emma Jennings was principal. In 1902 the school burnt down.
In 1908/1909 a new Māori boys' boarding school and boarding house re-opened. Closed in 1938 due to financial reasons.