James Smith's (Firm)
Established in 1866 by John Smith (1834-1902). Used the name James Smith (Firm) from 1866 to ca 1897. Originally a wholesale and retail draper, at Te Aro House on the corner of Cuba and Dixon Streets. The company at the time also used the names 'Te Aro House' and 'Te Aro House Drapery Co Ltd'.
From 1921 occupied a department store on the corner of Cuba and Manners Streets on 'James Smith's Corner' (49-61 Cuba Street). The location was popularly given this name from the time the firm opened there in January 1921. Though James Smith Ltd was sold to the DECA group in 1993, and ceased to exist, this locality is still referred to as James Smith's Corner (1997)