New Zealand owned bank established in October 1861. First branch was opened in Dunedin in December 1861. In 1992 the bank was purchased by the National Australia Bank and operates as a subsidiary.
BNZ Centre (Wellington, N.Z.) - Building was located at 1-27 Willis Street, Wellington. Designed by architect Dennis Haswell of Wellington based architectural firm Stephenson and Turner in the early 1970s. Construction began in 1973, but was held up for six years by a labour dispute with the Boiler Makers Union. Construction to complete the building began in in 1981 and the building was finally finished in late 1984. In 1998 the Bank of New Zealand moved its head office to Auckland, and the naming rights for the tower were sold to State Insurance. Today (2011) The building is called State Insurance Tower.