The Leicestershire Mercury, of Saturday next, March the 8th (Price 3d., unstamped) will contain full reports of the Leicestershire Assizes, including the trial of John Fowkes, for the Snarestone Murder, and the suit of Merewether v the Pegg's Green Colliery Company. Early orders should be given to Mr Wayte, bookseller, Ashby-de-la-Zouch; Mr Humphrey, news agent; or to the Mercury Office, Leicester. T Wayte, Printer, Ashby.
- Leicester Mercury (Newspaper); Wayte, T, active 1856
- An arrangement of text, with different sizes of lettering. The murderer John "Butcher" Fowkes, who was hanged on this occasion, is said to have had a persecution complex, believing that his own family was out to get him; and so he set out with a poacher's gun in order prevent this. One source says that he was actually aiming the gun at his father but killed his nephew by aiming badly ("John Fowkes". 'True Crime Library', https://www.truecrimelibrary.com/crimearticle/john-fowkes/ accessed 12 December 2018). He was the last man to be publicly hanged at Leicestershire Prison. Quantity: 1 b&w art print(s). Physical Description: Letterpress, 256 x 191 mm.
- Access restrictions
- Partly restricted - Please use surrogate in place of original
- Part of
- [Collection of ephemera, handbills, fliers, collected by Kenneth Athol Webster. 1800-1920] / [Collection of ephemera, handbills, fliers, relating to trials and executions of murderers in England. 1830-1880]
- 1 b&w art print(s), Ephemera, Letterpress works, Fliers (Printed matter), Letterpress, 256 x 191 mm., Orientation: Vertical image
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.
Downloading this item
This item is available as a high resolution download. No further permissions are required for use of this image, however full citations and acknowledgements should be included wherever the images are used.
If this item has multiple pages, or is several items attached to a single record, you can use this form to order your copy.
Using this Item
You can copy this item, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It can be modified, remixed and built upon. It can be used commercially.
If reproducing this item, it is helpful to include the following credit: