Goodbehere, Ann: Official opening of the Cottage Hospital, Otaki

Date
1899
By
Goodbehere, Ann, active 1999-2007
Ref
PAColl-7442
Description

Group at the Official opening of the Cottage hospital, Otaki on 7 August 1899. Included from the left are; (wearing top hat) Frederick de Jersey Clere the architect (1856-1952). Beside him is Dudley Henry Alexander (1863-1931) ADC and Private Secretary to the Governor. Standing in front of Clere is Richard Clement Kirk (1863-1927) Mayor of Petone and Chairman of the Wellington Hospitable Board. Behind Aexander and wearing a bowler hat is Captain Henry Leah commander of HMS Mildura. Next to him is Miss Rochfort the Matron of the Cottage Hospital, and next to her is Frederick Wallis (1853-1928) Anglican Bishop of Wellington. The man standing at the back wearing a cloth cap is Thomas Young Duncan (1836-1914) Member of Parliament for Oamru. In front of him wearing a bowler hat is the Chairman of the Horowhenua County Council. The two men in the centre of the photograph are Richard John Seddon (1845-1906) the Prime Minister, and the Earl of Ranfurly (1856-1933) Governor of New Zealand. Behind the Governor is Dr James Malcolm Mason (1864-1924). Somewhere among the remainder is William Hughes Field (1861-1944) who became MP for Otaki in 1900

Quantity: 1 b&w original photographic print(s).

Physical Description: Silver gelatin print

Provenance: This photograph belonged to F de J Clere, the architect of the hospital. Ann Goodbehere is the widow of Clere's grandson, Michael Goodbehere who inherited the photograph.

Access restrictions
No access restrictions
Format
1 b&w original photographic print(s), Photographs, Silver gelatin print
See original record

Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.

Copyright

Unknown