The Homeric hymn to Aphrodite : a new translation / by F.L. Lucas ; with 10 engravings by Mark Severin.
- Homer., Lucas, F. L. (Frank Laurence), 1894-1967. tr., Sandford, Christopher, printer., Severin, Mark F., ill., Newbery, Francis J. printer., Bierman, J. printer., Douglas, A. G. compositor., Dick, A. W. compositor., Mansfield, Edgar, 1907-1996 binder., Fleck, Henry Baxter, 1905-1971. donor., Golden Cockerel Press. printer., Chiswick Press. printer., Arnold & Foster. papermaker., Maggs Bros. bookseller.
"Designed, produced, and published by Christopher Sandford at the Golden Cockerel Press, London, in Poliphilus Roman and New Hellenic Greek types on Arnold's mould-made paper. Composition and presswork under the supervision of F.J. Newbery at the Chiswick Press. Compositors: A.G. Douglas and A.W. Dick. Pressman: J. Bierman. The printing was completed on the twenty-second day of April, 1948. The edition is limited to 750 copies. Nos: 1-100 have been specially bound"--Colophon.
T.p. printed in orange and black, with vignette of Aphrodite, within ornamental border; printer's device below colophon.
100 copies in crimson Cape. 650 copies in 1/4 black Cape with terracotta buckram boards. Cf. Cockalorum.
Includes bibliographical references.
Golden Cockerel Press. Cockalorum, 177
Ransom, W. Press books, 177
binding by Edgar Mansfield (copy 2) Digital image. Wellington, N.Z. : National Library of New Zealand, 2006
Includes English and Greek texts.
Alexander Turnbull Library copy exhibited ; qRPr GOLD Home 1948 (158799) copy 2 : Simple to Sumptuous: Bookbindings 1450 to the Present. 5 April - 19 July 2008
Copy 1. Binding: 1/4 white vellum, green buckram, gilt vignette of Aphrodite on upper cover, spine tooled in gilt, fore-edges and bottom edges untrimmed. In green linen slipcase. Spine title: The hymn to Aphrodite. Provenance: H.B. Fleck bequest. Copy no. 741. Acc. 144213.
Copy 2. Binding: mustard morocco, upper cover inlaid in red, grey and white, tooled in white, grey, dark red, light and dark blue pigment, and blind. The lower cover has a reverse image of the white circular inlay, grey horizontal inlay (red on lower cover) and the tooled light and dark blue circle. Spine tooled in brown, cream endpapers (with watermark "A. Millbourn & Co British handmade" and fleur-de-lis), top edges gilt, fore- and bottom edges untrimmed. Binder's stamp "Edgar Mansfield." Provenance: purchased from Maggs Bros in 1976 with funds from the H.B. Fleck bequest (cf. ATL Purchase book 1976-1985, MSY-2898, p. 6). Copy no. 146. Acc. 158799.
Digital image available: binding by Edgar Mansfield (copy 2), Alexander Turnbull Library Rare Book copy. Details on request from Curator, Rare Books and Fine Printing.
- Source URL
- Related to
- Digital Collection 81268192800002836 Alma Collection
- Other Titles
- Hymn to Aphrodite. English & Greek.
- [London] : Printed in Great Britain at the Golden Cockerel Press, 1948.
- 35, p. (p. , , , 1st set, are blank) :ill. ;32 cm.
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.