Iohn Huighen van Linschoten. his discours of voyages into ye Easte & West Indies. Deuided into foure bookes.
- Linschoten, Jan Huygen van, 1563-1611., Phillip, William, tr., Rogers, William, approximately 1545- engraver., Beckit, Robert, engraver.
A translation of: Itinerario.
The title page is engraved and signed: Willms Rogers ciuis Londinensis inuentor et sculptor.
Printer's name from STC.
"The second booke. The true and perfect description of the whole coast of Guinea, Manicongo, Angola, Monomotapa ..", "The thirde booke. The nauigation of the Portingales into the East Indies ..", and "The fourth booke. A most true and certaine extract and summarie of all the rents, demaines, tolles .. of the King of Spaine .." each have separate title page dated 1598 and stating "[Translated] .. out of Dutch into English by W.P." (i.e. William Phillip); pagination and register are continuous.
The maps are engraved by Robert Beckit; the title page and remaining plates are by William Rogers.
P. 295 misnumbered 259.
The last leaf is blank.
Signatures: pi1 A⁴ B-Q⁶ R⁸ *S² S-2A⁶ 2B-2C⁴ 2D-2P⁶ 2Q⁸.
Entered 21 June 1597.
Blank from F.S. Ferguson notes.
Signatures from DFo.
English short title catalogue, S111823
STC (2nd ed.), 15691
Luborsky & Ingram. Engl. illustrated books, 1536-1603, 15691
Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University Microfilms International, 1967. 1 microfilm reel; 35mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640; 1108:12).
map Digital image. Wellington, N.Z. : National Library of New Zealand.
Alexander Turnbull Library SPC copy. Copy specific details available on request from Curator, Special Printed Collections. Binding: brown crushed goatskin, spine gold tooled (original calf used as endpapers). Provenance: armorial bookplate of Francis Fulford of Fulford in the County of Devon. Esq. 1699; armorial bookplate of Alexander H. Turnbull. Acc. 588.
Digital image available: map, "Typus orbis terrarum", Alexander Turnbull Library Rare Book copy. Details available on request from Curator, Rare Books and Fine Printing.
- Source URL
- Related to
- Digital Collection 81268192800002836 Alma Collection
- Other Titles
- Itinerario. English; Second booke. The true and perfect description of the whole coast of Guinea, Manicongo, Angola, Monomotapa; Fourth booke. A most true and certaine extract and summarie of all the rents, demaines, tolles .. of the King of Spaine; Thirde booke. The nauigation of the Portingales into the East Indies; Thirde booke. The navigation of the Portingales into the East Indies; John Huighen van Linschoten. his discours of voyages into ye Easte & West Indies
- Printed at London : By [John Windet for] Iohn Wolfe printer to ye Honorable Cittie of London, 
- , 197, , 198-259 [i.e. 295], , 307-462,  p.,  plates (some folded) :maps ;2⁰.
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.