M. Annaei Lucani de bello civili, libri decem / cum scholijs integris quidem Ioannis Sulpitij Verulani, certis autem locis etiam Omniboni, vnà cum annotationibus quibusdam adiectis Iacobi Micylli.
- Lucan, 39-65., Sulpitius Verulanus, Joannes, active 15th century., Bonisoli, Ognibene, approximately 1412-1474., Moltzer, Jakob, 1503-1558., Chesterfield, Philip Dormer Stanhope, Earl of, 1694-1773. former owner., Carnarvon, George Edward Stanhope Molyneux Herbert, Earl of, 1866-1923. former owner., Maggs Bros. bookseller., Henry Sotheran Ltd. bookseller.
Date of printing from colophon: "Anno M.D.LI."
Binding Digital image. Wellington, N.Z. : National Library of New Zealand.
Alexander Turnbull Library SPC copy. Copy specific details available on request from Curator, Special Printed Collections. Binding: contemporary Parisian binding most probably by the "Wotton Binder C", of light-brown calf over pasteboard; upper and lower covers decorated with an elaborate gilt and black stained strapwork design; interspersed small hatched and open leaf tools; edges of the boards gold tooled; gilt text edges; textblock sewn on five double alum-tawed thongs laced into boards and shewing on repaired spine as raised bands. Lacks upper pstedown, t.p. repaired. Provenance: most probably bound for Thomas Wotton; then by descent to Katherine Wotton, Countess of Chesterfield; by descent to Philip Dormer Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, with remains of his armorial bookplate on the inside upper board; by descent to Lady Evelyn Stanhope (sister of the 7th Earl of Chesterfield and wife of Henry Herbert, 4th Earl of Carnarvon). Lady Evelyn Stanhope bequeathed Bretby Hall, Derbyshire and its library to her son George Herbert, 5th Earl of Carnarvon who included this item at the Bretby sale, Sotheby's, 8 April 1919, lot 90, purchased by Maggs for £26. Sold Sotheby's, 17 February 1936, lot 40, purchased by Gale. Listed in Maggs catalogue: Bookbinding in the British Isles, catalogue 1212 (London, Maggs Bros,1996), no.7. Ruled in ink (now faded to brown) throughout. Pencil notes about book history on upper flyleaf. Purchased by the ATL from Henry Sotheran, June 2010. Acc. 399535.
Digital image available: bookbinding, Alexander Turnbull Library SPC copy. Details on request from Curator, Special Printed Collections.
- Source URL
- Related to
- Digital Collection 81268192800002836 Alma Collection
- Other Titles
- Pharsalia; M. Annei Lvcani De bello civili libri decem; De bello civili libri decem; M. Annei Lucani De bello civili; De bello civili
- Franc.[ofurti ad Moenam] : Apud Chr. Egenolphum, 
- , 283 leaves ;21 cm. (4to)
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.