Proverbes, ecclesiastes or preacher. Cantica canticorum [et] Sapienta called [the] boke of wisdom : whereto also is added [the] boke of Jesus [the] son of Sirac, called Ecclesiasticus.
- Jugge, Richard, approximately 1514-1577 printer., Willoughby, Margaret, 16th century. former owner., Beaumont, Elizabeth, fl.1613. former owner., Harmsworth, R. Leicester (Robert Leicester), Sir, 1870-1937. former owner., Howard, Arthur, Sir, 1896-1971. former owner.
Title quoted from preface.
Signatures: B-Z⁸ ²Z⁸ 2A-2M⁸.
Title page and preliminaries before B1 recto lacking; only known copy.
Publishing information from colophon; year from STC.
STC (2nd ed.), 2757.5
Binding Digital image. Wellington, N.Z. : National Library of New Zealand, 2006
Alexander Turnbull Library copy exhibited ; Howard 19 (292520) : Simple to Sumptuous: Bookbindings 1450 to the Present. 5 April - 19 July 2008
Lacks title page and all before B1 recto.
Binding: 16th century calfskin with gilt arabesque panel stamped on front and back boards, spine bands raised, spine stamped with gilt fleurons, cloth ties.
Provenance: inscription on 2M8v: "Margarett Willoughby me possidett. Donum Elizabethe Beaumonte q[ui] obiit apud Coombe ... de Gittesham die veneris 4to die Martii ... 1613 ..."; in the collection of sir Robert Leicester Harmsworth, lot 2466 in the sale of his library, 8 July 1946; bequeathed to the Alexander Turnbull Library by Sir Arthur Howard, 1973.
Digital image available: bookbinding, Alexander Turnbull Library Rare Book copy. Details available on request from Curator, Rare Books and Fine Printing.
- Source URL
- Related to
- Digital Collection 81268192800002836 Alma Collection
- Other Titles
- Bible. O.T. Hagiographia. English. Great Bible. Selections.
- Imprinted at London : By Richarde Jugge the thyrd daye of Nouember , [1550?]
- [8+],  leaves. ;11 cm. (16mo)
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.