The most sacred Bible, : whiche is the holy scripture, conteyning the old and new Testament , / translated in to English, and newly recognised with great diligence after most faythful exemplars, by Rychard Taverner ...
- Rogers, John, 1500?-1555., Taverner, Richard, 1505?-1575., Tyndale, William, -1536., Byddel, John, fl. 1533-1545. printer., Berthelet, Thomas, active 1520-1555, printer., Harmsworth, R. Leicester (Robert Leicester), Sir, 1870-1937. former owner., Hatton, Roger, 16th century. former owner., Howard, Arthur, Sir, 1896-1971. former owner., Birdsall & Son. binder.
A version of the "Matthew" Bible of 1537, translation of William Tyndale, edited by John Rogers whose pseudonym is Thomas Matthew. Revised by Richard Taverner. Cf. Herbert.
"The boke of the prophetes" and "The volvme of the bokes called Apocripha" have separate foliation and divisional titles. "The Nevv Testament of our sauiour Iesu Chryst" has separate dated title page, foliation, and register.
Signatures: [pointing hand]⁴ 2[pointing hand]-3[pointing hand]⁶ A-2O⁶ 2P⁸, ²2A-2O⁶ ²2P⁸, 3A-3M⁶ 3N⁴; A-I⁶ L-Q⁶ R⁸.
With a three-leaf table at end.
Title page within woodcut border. Decorated intitials throughout.
Binding: early 20th century citron morocco, signed Birdsall & Son Northampton, gold tooled; spine with raised bands, gold tooled; gilt edges; marbled endleaves, gold tooled doublures.
STC (2nd ed.), 2067
Herbert, A.S. Engl. Bible, 45
Binding Digital image. Wellington, N.Z. : National Library of New Zealand, 2006
Inscription "freinde Roger Hatton", 16th century on 2[pointing hand]3r ; in the collection of Sir Robert Leicester Harmsworth (d.1937), lot 2439 in the sale of his library, 8 July 1946; bequeathed to the ATL by Sir Arthur Howard, 1973.
Lacks first four leaves (including title-leaf), and leaves R2-5, R7-8 at end of New Testament, all supplied in facsimile.
Digital image available: bookbinding, Alexander Turnbull Library Rare Book copy. Details available on request from Curator, Rare Books and Fine Printing.
- Source URL
- Related to
- Digital Collection = Kohinga Matihiko 81268192800002836 Alma Collection
- Other Titles
- Bible. English. Taverner. 1539.; Boke of the prophetes.; Volume of the bokes called Apocripha.; Nevv Testament of our sauiour Iesu Chryst.; New Testament of our saviour Jesu Chryst.
- Prynted at London : In Fletestrete at the sygne of the sonne by Iohn Byddell, for Thomas Barthlet. Cum priuilegio ad imprimendum solum, 1539.
- , ccxxx, lxxxxi, , lxxv, liiii, lxi-ci,  leaves ;29 cm. (4to)
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.