Paradise lost : a poem, in twelve books / the author, John Milton ; collated with the best editions by Thomas Park, Esq. F.S.A.
- Milton, John, 1608-1674., Park, Thomas, 1759-1834., Fuseli, Henry, 1741-1825., Westall, Richard, 1765-1836., Tompkins, P. W. (Peltro William), 1760-1840.
- Works of the British poets ; v. 1.
Issued as vol. 1 of Park's series The works of the British poets, collated with the best editions. Vols. I-II of Milton's works.
The three plates are engraved by P.W. Tompkins after designs by Hy. Fuseli (2) and Richd. Westall.
Fore-edge painting Digital image. Wellington, N.Z. : National Library of New Zealand.
Alexander Turnbull Library SPC copy. Library copy has 2 vols. bound as one. Copy specific details available on request from Curator, Special Printed Collections. Binding: red straight-grained goatskin, gold tooled in panel design, brown endpapers, gilt text edges. Fore-edge painting of river scene. Rebacked with red calf, gold tooled with black spine labels. Provenance: armorial bookplate on upper pastedown in red, blue and gold with lion rampant ; bookplate with eagle on flyleaf: "John Kermack, writer to the signet" ; pencil notes on upper flyleaves. Purchased by Alexander H. Turnbull from Pickering & Chatto in 1900 for £6.6s (see Alexander H. Turnbull, Acquisition Book, MSX-8822, p.232, no. 2133). Acc. 401453.
Digital image available: fore-edge painting, Alexander Turnbull Library Rare Book copy. Details available on request from Curator, Rare Books and Fine Printing.
- Source URL
- Related to
- Digital Collection 81268192800002836 Alma Collection
- London : Printed at the Stanhope Press, by Charles Whittingham, Union Buildings, Leather Lane ; for John Sharpe, opposite York-House, Piccadilly, 1805.
- 2 v.,  leaves of plates :ill. ;13 cm. (16mo)
Click to request to view this item, access digital version (if available), and see more information.