Interloaning from us
Need to borrow material from the Library? You can get it through standard interloan or by Rapid Access. Not a librarian? Find out how to borrow items from the collection.
You can interloan collection items from the National Library and Alexander Turnbull Library – with some restrictions – free of charge for New Zealand libraries.
You may incur some costs while using the service, including:
- postal charges when returning items
- replacement costs for lost or damaged items
- one-off charges for urgent material (see the Rapid Access Service, below)
- non-New Zealand libraries will be charged as per the information in the Directory of New Zealand Libraries
Borrowing from the National Library
We loan from the general collections, which include:
- General lending collection
- General New Zealand Pacific collection
- Fiction collection
- Store collection
- Music collection
- National children’s collection
- Microforms collection
We can also provide copies and some original items from the:
- Serials collection
- New Zealand Pacific serial collection
You can obtain books, journal articles, newspaper articles, music scores and CDs, microfiche, and audiovisual material.
Borrowing from the Alexander Turnbull Library
Most Turnbull material is only available for use in the Reading Room and cannot be interloaned. However, the following items are available:
- Manuscripts and archives on microfilm
- Early printed materials on microform
- Eighteenth-century English books on microfilm
- Nineteenth-century books on microfilm
- New Zealand newspapers on microfilm
- Oral history materials
- Copies of book chapters, serials, and newspaper articles
Copying of material may be restricted due to preservation requirements.
Getting material from us
- by mailing the National Library of New Zealand, PO Box 1467, Wellington
- by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Rapid Access Service
Rapid Access is the Library's charged fast document supply services, for items held in the General Collections. New Zealand libraries can get photocopies of serial and newspaper articles, and loans of books, faster than regular inter-library loan.
Request an item
Contact us Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 4.30pm (except public holidays) to request items.
- Phone: 04 474 3028
- Te Puna Interloan: Use "Service Level" Express
Please don't use email to request items through Rapid Access, as we can't guarantee your request will be processed in time. We'll tell you if the item is not available.
|Within Wellington||Outside Wellington|
|Front of Queue (email)||1 hour||$45.00||1 hour||$45.00|
|Front of Queue (courier)||1-2 hours||$45.00||N/A||N/A|
|Within 4 hours||$25.00||Within 4 hours||$25.00|
|Courier||Within 4 hours||$25.00||Next day||$25.00|
|Collection||Within 4 hours||$15.00||N/A||N/A|
Costs are on a per-item basis, and exclude GST. Clients are invoiced weekly or using IBS.