What APNK offers
Aotearoa People’s Network Kaharoa (APNK) offers computer hardware and high-speed internet for New Zealand public libraries so that all New Zealanders can be connected online.
APNK key features
Key features of the APNK service are set out below.
- A high-speed internet connection (fibre, where available).
- A managed network, with content filtering. The filter is updated every 2 hours.
- One Wi-Fi Access Point (WAP) provided per library service location.
- Capacity for the public to connect BYO devices to Wi-Fi.
- APNK supports 24/7 Wi-Fi access; libraries can also choose from a list of options for reduced Wi-Fi operating hours.
- Modern computer hardware using the Chrome operating system. Hardware is provided on a lease arrangement with a guaranteed technology refresh every 3 years.
- Insurance cover for Chromebooks in case of accidental damage or theft.
- Keyed security locks for desktop ChromeStations.
- Ability for customers to attach headphones, webcams, and external drives to computers.
- A4 printer with black-and-white and colour printing options.
- A4 scanner option.
Systems and support
- Web-app system to manage customer printing. This includes options to preview the print job and receive payment in advance of print release.
- Computer booking queue system, for managing high demand.
- Sign-in to computer sessions via either library membership number (for Kōtui libraries) or guest pass.
- Accessibility options, for example, large-size text or text to speech.
- Administration support provided by The National Library, including accounts processing, contract renewals, travel arrangements, and meeting minutes.
- A constantly expanding catalogue of support documentation and resources available online.
- 7-day service desk support from the specialist APNK team, via an 0800 number, email and an online service portal.
APNK Wi-Fi only option
A Wi-Fi only option is also available, which provides a managed and filtered internet and Wi-Fi infrastructure only. This option includes the features listed in the Internet heading above, as well as service desk support.