The NZ suffrage movement is one of our most important stories. The efforts of brave, persistent suffragists saw our nation become the first in the world to give women the vote. We'll inspire ākonga around themes of social justice, equity, and leadership.
Suitable for: Years 4 to 13
Learning areas: Social sciences (including history), English
Duration: 2 hours
Available: All year
Founding document: Te Petihana Whakamana Poti Wahine — Women's Suffrage Petition
He Tohu themes: The documents, people, place, living together, our future
What ākonga will learn
Ākonga (students) will learn about:
- who these amazing women were and what they stood for
- the adversities they faced and how they overcame them
- the qualities these women displayed that can inspire leaders of the future.
What ākonga will do
- Analyse the suffrage movement in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Use virtual reality technology to get up close to the petition.
- Take part in activities that help identify the qualities and attributes of leaders.